Klaptopdaemon / Battery Monitor

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Tue Apr 22 16:25:47 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>
>> I am running kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager.
>> Guidance-power-manager is the backend for those.
>>

> kde-guidance is not involved in the power management at all.  For some odd
> reason it actually depends on kde-guidance-powermanager, but it is a bunch
> of kcontrol components (and kubuntu doesn't even use kcontrol, though I
> expect they're also available through System Settings).

Both of these, kde-guidance and kde-guidance-powermanager are installed
on my system and kde-guidance is included in startup,
kde-guidance-powermanage is not. I didn't install either of them.

>> It's also, I believe,
>> the command line tool for kde-guidance.
>>

> kde-guidance isn't involved in power management.
>

>> Anyway, I am running kde-guidance,

AT least it's in startup. Does it start kde-guidance-powermanage?

> Then _don't_.  It's not involved.  There may be useful things in
> kde-guidance but it has nothing to do with this problem.
>

>> but I don't get any battery status,
>>

>> just the cpu frequency. I have noticed that powersaved
>>

> Powersaved is _also_ not part of the default kubuntu install and seems
> likely to interfere with the guidance-power-manager (which also does
> suspend/resume).
>

>> and acpid don't start properly.
>>

> Arrgh.  What sort of error description is "don't start properly"?  That's
> the root problem, and you just treat it as insignificant.  Can you tell I'm
> getting frustrated?

I get the startup error during boot, but it is so fast I can't get a
good look at it and the error text does not show up in dmesg or
/var/log/messages. What I can see is that acpid cannot start because
acpid is not installed. I No acpid is installed and I can start acpid
after boot without errors. I'm not trying to be obtuse, I just can't see
enough of the error to tell you exactly what it says.

>> I have to manually start powersaved first and then start
>> acpid before I can get kde-guidance to show the cpu frequency, but still
>> no battery status.
>>

> Forget powersaved - at least for now - and tell us exactly what happens when
> you start acpid.

When I start acpid from a terminal I get this...

root at rick-laptop:~# /etc/init.d/acpid start
[ OK ]
 * Starting ACPI services...
[ OK ]

It's loading OK from the command. Also, I've removed powersaved and
rebooted and I no longer get the startup error from acpid.

The battery module is loading alon with other modules for acpid support
(battery ac processor button fan thermal bay dock) from
/etc/default/acpid. That taskbar icon still does not give battery
status. What next?

Thanks again for your help, sorry for the frustration,
Rick