Klaptopdaemon / Battery Monitor

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Mon Apr 21 20:06:00 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure if I have the right tools here, but on my laptop (Compaq
>> nc8230) I used to get a battery monitor on the task bar. This battery
>> monitor was available with Dapper and Feisty and I think with Dapper's
>> predecessor, but not in Gutsy. Klaptopdaemon is installed and I've also
>> installed kdeutils, but I can't seem to get the battery monitor. Can
>> someone here tell me what to do to get the battery monitor back?
>>

> The default kicker applet is  kde-guidance-powermanager (from the package
> kde-guidance-powermanager).  That's not the battery applet that was default
> in feisty, iirc, but seems to do the job for me.

Derek,

Thanks for the reply. I found the guidance-power-manager.py applet. When
I try to start it I get errors.

rick at rick-laptop:~$ guidance-power-manager
rick at rick-laptop:~$ No battery found.
No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.
Warning: While setting SystemPowerManagement to  True :
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.NotSupported: No
powersave method found
No AC adapter found - assume that we are on batteries.

Running this does give me the battery icon in task bar, but that icon
only shows my cpu frequency. Something's broken or something is still
missing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick