Usage - Coders vs Writer

p.daniels teeahr1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:54:33 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> p.daniels wrote:
>

>> cherryfinals wrote:
>>

>>> Try telling some commercial artist, using Photoshop that they will have
>>> to open a terminal window to convert a file and see what sort of
>>> response you get.
>>>

>> Yeah, except that's not true.
>>

> I think Photoshop was a particularly bad example :-)  Photoshop experts
> would probably be right at home with a Unix command line.

My point there was the example was hyperbole. No one _has to_ convert
files at the command line, at least not any files that I work with. Yes,
there are times when configuration requires editing an /etc/ file or
something, but to make it sound like a user absolutely must operate from
the shell for trivial everyday tasks is disingenuous. We've been past
that for years now.

-p.