Hardy Heron

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Apr 20 20:16:37 UTC 2008

ronw at paradise.net.nz wrote:
> I have done that but a fresh install also means that you have to re-install all
> your non-standard programs. I run programs like popfile which require special
> setup so I will have to go through system and note down all the stuff that is
> non standard.
> Such is life ....

Used to be, creating separate partitions for things like /home and /opt
were the recommended best practice. This way, you install your
non-standard programs to /opt. And if you need to upgrade, /home and
/opt never get overwritten.

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>