Hardy Heron

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sun Apr 20 14:21:59 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Ron Wilson wrote:
> I am looking forward to Hardy's release next week. What is the consensus
> on installing is it better to do a new install or to try an upgrade. I
> lean to a clean install as I have never tried an upgrade in past.
> However that does mean that I need a install disk and it might take a
> while before the downlaods become available.
> What are others going to do.

I would vote for a new install and I would start with 8.04rc.  (even the beta
seemed to be in very good shape.)  You'll end up with the full release after
updates anyway.

The reasons are:

1) If the update fails, you end up with a broken machine and have to do a new
install anyway.

2) If there is a bug or some problem you have, you'll never know if the update
broke it with some conflicting piece of software or whether it is a true bug.

3) You'll take good notes on the install for the next release.

4) You'll learn a lot and find out what's new.

I've done one update in the last 14 years of linux.  (suse and kubuntu)  and
it didn't go well.   And I had to do a fresh install anyway.