VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Apr 19 15:05:50 UTC 2008

Graham Todd wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:10:46 -0600
> Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>

>> OH YEAH! I forgot to mention that for mom's computer it HAS to be
>> rock solid like mine. She is completely, totally, computer ignorant.
>> All she knows is to push what I tell her to to go where she wants to
>> go and do what she wants.
>>
> [snipped]
>
> I understand that, but a Windows computer cannot be considered "rock
> solid", more that it is ubiquitous.  If you were willing to try a
> distribution of Linux for your mother, why not try her with a different
> distribution?

For her XP seems to work quite well. She usually manages to keep it
running for a year or so without to many problems. It was just time for
her "annual" reload and I thought why not. Then I wouldn't need to load
down her computer with so many "necessary" addons to keep stupid things
from happening.

Over the past few years I've tried out a few different distro's and
Kubuntu is my favorite for just everyday stability/usability. I like
OpenSUSe also but it seems a bit more "fussy" sometimes.

> All operating systems have their strong and weak points, but my
> experience of using Linux over a number of years, is that Linux in
> general but Kubuntu in particular has more strong points than weak
> points.

I have to agree with you on this one.

> If you were to try BSD, it would be very strong, but be a pig to
> use....unless that is, of course, you would go the route of trying Mac
> OSX (which is based upon BSD).
>
> So go to http://www.distrowatch.com and look for a distribution you
> like, download it and burn it, then try a live distribution even though
> at the same time as Windows, then you can choose having made the choice.
>
> Go on...try it!

I guess what ticked me off more than anything was the changes in the
repositories. Up till just a couple weeks ago [ last time I noticed ]
both KDE3 and KDE4 were listed, and identified, in adept. This no longer
seems to be the case with the push towards KDE4 [ which IMHO is not
really ready - everyday on the list you read someones post about
something not working in KDE4 ] and 8.04. If the KDE3 files had been
there, as they had been in the past, she would have been up and running
in just a couple hours. Trying to install the available files kept
"breaking" things. In most cases it would warn me in adept that
something would break if I tried to install a particular something. It
was mostly KDE "parts" that I needed to install. Anything else just
installed with no problems.

While I'm no expert I'm firmly sold on Kubuntu. Still a LOT to learn