Flash For AMD64

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 15:31:03 UTC 2008

2008/4/19 Michael Zoet <Michael.Zoet at michaelzoet.de>:

>  >>
>  >>  > Just curious but did not my mail reach you? I wrote that there is no Flash
>  >>  > for 64-bit OS as far as i know. I have tested 2 solution trying to solve
>  >>  > it, Nspluginwrapper and Firefox 32-bit.
>  >>
>  >>  Am I missing something here? What Kubuntu are you on?
>  >>
>  >>  How about just opening konsole and writing:
>  >>
>  >>  sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>  >>
>  >>  Works in Hardy and Gutsy.
>  >>
>  >

> > Hi
>  >
>  > I'm running Kubunt 7.10 AMD64 and i guess thats what Graham Todd is
>  > running to as the topic is "Flash for AMD64".
>  > I am not in Kubuntu now so i can't check but flashplugin-nonfree is that
>  > the Adobe Flash player including plugins for browser?
>  > In that case they have only 32-bit versions and that dont work
>  > with 64-bit firefox (who is the default when installing firefox from
>  > repro in Gutsy AMD64).
>  > Not even in Windows Vista/XP x64 flash is supported, you have to run
>  > 32-bit IExplorer
>  > in Vista to be able to view sites with flash.
>  >
>  I do not know about the problems with Vista, (used it only 2 times...) but:
>
>  This discussion comes up every now and then! Since Gutsy you can simply
>  install flash on a 64 Bit Ubuntu just by using the package manager of
>  your choice! So the "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree" simply
>  works and you can watch all these flash websites on your 64 Bit Ubuntu.
>  Without using a script or other complicated installation procedures. I
>  do this for several months now on my 64 Bit systems!
>
>  So simply install the
>
>  flashplugin-nonfree
>
>  package and everything is fine.
>
>  I am not sure what this package does. Either this package installs a 32
>  Bit firefox (I doubt that) or it installs a 32 Bit execution environment
>  where the flash plugin can run with a 64 Bit firefox. Or something
>  else... But I do not know for sure. Maybe some packaging people from
>  Ubuntu can explain it. But for a normal firefox user it is not so
>  important. Just installing the package is enough.
>
>  Greetings,
>
>  Michael

I'm sure i tested all possible things to get flash in Firefox when i
installed Gutsy
(including flashplugin-nonfree) but i could never get it to work. Looking at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy-updates/flashplugin-nonfree i see that it
is Adobes flash and has nspluginwrapper is a dependensie. Perhaps they
has sorted out some bugs now as it is almous a 6 month ago i tried. Will
try installing it when i get home.

How about java do that work to for you?

/ Jonas