KDE 4 Install Problem

Robert Tilley tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com
Sat Apr 19 14:34:53 UTC 2008

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 (Intel 82845G card).  Currently, KDE 3.5.8
(Kubuntu Gutsy) is running very well.

After following the instructions from the Kubuntu website for installing KDE 4
side-by-side with KDE 3 is the time when problems occur.  After reboot the
screen is blank with graphic "static" (randomly-colored vertical lines).  The
screen is otherwise black and there is no activity.  A complete re-install of
Kubuntu is needed (I give my thanks to a separate /home partition!) to
restore a working box.

KDE 4 seems limited in respect to with which graphic cards it will work.  Can
anyone with a Dell 2350 and working KDE 4 give word that this robust (old but
clunking along) machine can run the eye-candy of KDE 4?

Thank you,

Bob
--
Truth will out this morning.  (Which may really mess things up.)