Flash For AMD64

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at michaelzoet.de
Sat Apr 19 13:02:41 UTC 2008

>>  > Just curious but did not my mail reach you? I wrote that there is no Flash
>>  > for 64-bit OS as far as i know. I have tested 2 solution trying to solve
>>  > it, Nspluginwrapper and Firefox 32-bit.
>>
>>  Am I missing something here? What Kubuntu are you on?
>>
>>  How about just opening konsole and writing:
>>
>>  sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>>
>>  Works in Hardy and Gutsy.
>>

> Hi
>
> I'm running Kubunt 7.10 AMD64 and i guess thats what Graham Todd is
> running to as the topic is "Flash for AMD64".
> I am not in Kubuntu now so i can't check but flashplugin-nonfree is that
> the Adobe Flash player including plugins for browser?
> In that case they have only 32-bit versions and that dont work
> with 64-bit firefox (who is the default when installing firefox from
> repro in Gutsy AMD64).
> Not even in Windows Vista/XP x64 flash is supported, you have to run
> 32-bit IExplorer
> in Vista to be able to view sites with flash.

I do not know about the problems with Vista, (used it only 2 times...) but:

This discussion comes up every now and then! Since Gutsy you can simply
install flash on a 64 Bit Ubuntu just by using the package manager of
your choice! So the "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree" simply
works and you can watch all these flash websites on your 64 Bit Ubuntu.
Without using a script or other complicated installation procedures. I
do this for several months now on my 64 Bit systems!

So simply install the

flashplugin-nonfree

package and everything is fine.

I am not sure what this package does. Either this package installs a 32
Bit firefox (I doubt that) or it installs a 32 Bit execution environment
where the flash plugin can run with a 64 Bit firefox. Or something
else... But I do not know for sure. Maybe some packaging people from
Ubuntu can explain it. But for a normal firefox user it is not so
important. Just installing the package is enough.

Greetings,

Michael