Usage - Coders vs Writer

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:22:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:11 AM, cherryfinals <cherryfinals at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, 18 April 2008 05:24:58 Chris Miller wrote:
>  "Then again, the more I learn how to use Linux, the more I find that
>  the mouse is just a tool to indicate which terminal session I want to
>  type into."
>
>  Here's something that needs to be considered:
>
>  There seems to be a common thread in the Linux community that tends to
>  keep it off the home/office desktop.
>
>  Now before I go further with this thought, let me say I've been working
>  with computers professionally since 1977. I've built kit systems and
>  wrote my original software in assembler. I've also fought in the
>  tech-support trenches and currently have a CISSP.
>
>  I retired my last XP system about four months ago and have been using
>  Kubuntu for all my home systems for more than a year.
>
>  The common thread I'm referring to, is how all the Linux coders keep
>  insisting that 'real computer people' have to use a command line.
>  Here's a clue... 90% of the business world wants to get work done and
>  are never going to take a massive step backwards to teaching people how
>  to use a terminal window.

I am a coder, so I guess I fit perfectly into the stereotype!

>  If a GUI system fails, that is either a bug or a design flaw and it
>  needs to be fixed, not given a band-aid patch by telling some writer,
>  artist, clerk or executive to open a terminal window and type sudo.
>
>  Currently, I'm writing novels, creating artwork and doing audio/video
>  editing with my systems. If I have to stop what I'm doing to open a
>  terminal, that just ticks me off. In discussions with managers, office
>  workers and other writers, I find most of them feel the same way.
>
>  I've converted a few users to Linux, but our tribe still has a ways to
>  go to make it a seamless GUI environment.
>
>  This is just a few observations from an olde pharte that has outgrown
>  terminal windows. I know there are going to be more than a few flames
>  from the coders and YMMV.

For what you do (not code) terminal windows are inappropriate...
except for _maybe_ vi and TeX.  For what I do (building software,
administering remote web servers) GUI tools are more often than not
entirely inappropriate.

"There ain't no right or wrong!"  Thank heavens for Linux and
Open-Source Software in general for liberating us from the (nasty!)
Windows CMD shell tyranny, and giving us the choice to decide for
ourselves what the computer should be.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!