VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Apr 18 14:59:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Phil Pinkerton <pcpinkerton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep I nearly forgot about that screaming 8MHZ 286 machine with 256kb of
> memory I ran Dr. Dos and Quick Basic on.

I remember changing the clock crystals, so that it would run at
10-12MHz. Unheard of!

And the first network file server I used (NetWare 2.11) has 72M
drives. That was HUGE! In fact, I named the system "Hugo", because the
drives were so unbelievably huge ...

I still use DR DOS, on a boot floppy (or as a boot floppy image), to
make bootable CDs ...

Ah, memory lane. :-)

> Wouldn't they be surprised that  Windows is "still"  DOS ! ;-)
> Just as many folks don't realize Mac XOS ( or OSX I forget which )  is Unix.

OSX, yep. I have a friend who is (or was) a big-time Mac developer.
It's BSD Unix, under that hood ....

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>