Usage - Coders vs Writer

p.daniels teeahr1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:30:06 UTC 2008

cherryfinals wrote:
> Jonas,
>
> I agree about being faster, but the key phrase there is "know your way
> around all the Unix tools..." That is fine for those that use and want
> to learn all those tools. It is not fine for general users and office
> workers. I know 'some' of them, but I have a lot of work to get done
> and the last thing I need to do right now is learn all the Unix
> commands.

You don't have to learn all the Unix commands. You have the option of
learnning the Unix commands you'd like to learn if you feel it would
help your work. Which beats That Other OS.
> Any GUI is much easier to use than memorizing command structures.

Quantify "easier" for me and I'll tell you whether I agree. Easier for
someone who's never used the system before? Yes. Easier for someone
who's used the system for say a year? I don't think so. YMMV.
> Try telling some commercial artist, using Photoshop that they will have
> to open a terminal window to convert a file and see what sort of
> response you get.

Yeah, except that's not true.

-p.