VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Apr 18 14:11:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Phil Pinkerton <pcpinkerton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good for you. I am however entitled  to my opinion part of which extends to

I never indicated that you were not entitled to your opinion.

> over 30 years working with computers which includes tens of thousands of
> Windows installs since 3.0 plus Linux since Slackware 1.0 and the days of
> 300baud down loads to floppies ( 8 inch ).

25 years for me, I remember Windows/386 (which came before 3.0), and
Slackware 2.9. I see we're both old fogies. :-)

> Linux is about choices, I like it because I have never paid 1 dime for any
> of it.

Me, too. Many see it as being more about philosophical choices, based
on freedoms, and not on prices.

> You defense of XP is well stated and yet your here in a Kubuntu users list,
> your choice.

True. because I chose to use both. Actually, I have a Debian testing
server at home, a Ubuntu laptop, and 2 XP stations. I use what I
consider appropriate to what I want to do. I also occasionally choose
to correct (seeming) misconceptions, or relate my experiences, about
both OSes, altho on different lists.

I have corrected people about Linux on MS lists, too. :-) Altho much
less these days, since Linux is much more prevalent, both at home and
in corporate environments. You'd be surprised (well, maybe not you,
you've been around a long while, too) how many people used to think
you couldn't run Linux without a command line (no [decent] GUI), and
having to recompile your kernel (by hand) every week. Thank goodness
that misconception has gone by the wayside.

> I meant no harm just took the word "VENT" as stated in this thread and
> expressed myself.

I took no harm or offense, and I hope you can say the same for me.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>