Usage - Coders vs Writer

cherryfinals cherryfinals at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 13:11:23 UTC 2008

> On Friday, 18 April 2008 05:24:58 Chris Miller wrote:
"Then again, the more I learn how to use Linux, the more I find that
the mouse is just a tool to indicate which terminal session I want to
type into."

Here's something that needs to be considered:

There seems to be a common thread in the Linux community that tends to
keep it off the home/office desktop.

Now before I go further with this thought, let me say I've been working
with computers professionally since 1977. I've built kit systems and
wrote my original software in assembler. I've also fought in the
tech-support trenches and currently have a CISSP.

I retired my last XP system about four months ago and have been using
Kubuntu for all my home systems for more than a year.

The common thread I'm referring to, is how all the Linux coders keep
insisting that 'real computer people' have to use a command line.
Here's a clue... 90% of the business world wants to get work done and
are never going to take a massive step backwards to teaching people how
to use a terminal window.

If a GUI system fails, that is either a bug or a design flaw and it
needs to be fixed, not given a band-aid patch by telling some writer,
artist, clerk or executive to open a terminal window and type sudo.

Currently, I'm writing novels, creating artwork and doing audio/video
editing with my systems. If I have to stop what I'm doing to open a
terminal, that just ticks me off. In discussions with managers, office
workers and other writers, I find most of them feel the same way.

I've converted a few users to Linux, but our tribe still has a ways to
go to make it a seamless GUI environment.

This is just a few observations from an olde pharte that has outgrown
terminal windows. I know there are going to be more than a few flames
from the coders and YMMV.

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt