OT - IDC Explains Linux Went Right

Johnny Ernst Nielsen j_e_n_pub at yahoo.dk
Fri Apr 18 07:30:24 UTC 2008

onsdag den 16. April 2008 kvad Derek Broughton:
> No, they don't - any more than Vista = Longhorn.  Yes, I understand
> the "perception is reality" argument, but (a) you will never get
> anybody officially connected to Ubuntu to use a code name for a
> released product and you won't find official CDs with a code name,
> and (b) this list is a really bad source to base your conclusion.

Then how about using the officially released product?

At least for kubuntu 7.10, when opening firefox the first thing that
is slammed right in the face of the user, with a BIG headline is:

"Welcome to Kubuntu 7.10, Gutsy Gibbon!"

That's the local start page greeting you.

If you go to the Kubuntu documentation homepage it clearly reads:

"7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)"

If you go to the download page it clearly reads:

"Download Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)"

If you want to enable the third party software with the GUI, you
clearly enable "gutsy" stuff.

"Gutsy" is all over the place in sources.list, when you want to change
sources.

When you regularly do security updates the system tells you that it is
fetching a lot of stuff from sources called "gutsy".

All of this is the _official_ product.

Whether or not codenames are a bad idea in official releases, I will
not participate in that discussion.

But it is plain fact that the official releases are swamped with code
names for the user to see.
Personally I am not surprised that analysts trying out *ubuntu takes
note of "silly code names" - they are all over the place!
It should come as no surprise that people use a product codename when
they see it fairly often.

Best regards :o)

Johnny :o)