VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 03:24:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2008 06:54:19 pm Billie Walsh wrote:
>  > Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>  > > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net
>  > > <mailto:bilwalsh at swbell.net>> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >     Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just
>  > >     fine but
>  > >     the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
>  > >     and installing XP.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > No! Don't give up!
>  >
>  > Done deal. Already got XP on it. I was installing 7.10 because KDE4
>  > stuff is still not ready, IMHO. BUT, it seems that all the KDE3 stuff
>  > has already been removed from the repos. The only thing available is
>  > KDE4 and it crashes adept on install. No prompts for user input involved.
>  >
>  > SO, until at least Kubuntu 8.10 or
>  > so..........................................
>  >
>  > --
>  > Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>
>  If you can't find the KDE 3 stuff its because you're looking in the wrong
>  place.  I can see all the KDE 3 stuff in my synaptic views.
>
>  I always install synaptic (yea, its a gnome based app) because it handles
>  things better.

I like synaptic, yet I still find myself inexplicably drawn to
aptitude.  Then again, the more I learn how to use Linux, the more I
find that the mouse is just a tool to indicate which terminal session
I want to type into.  I guess I just like how quickly aptitude
responds - near instant gratification for searches and such.

It boils down to a matter of preference, so I suppose there isn't a
wrong, just two rights.

As an aside, I would tend to think that aptitude would be more
resilient than synaptic, since aptitude exposes the raw output of
apt-get.  Any issues can be handled naively by apt-get, instead of the
potentially unstable GUI.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!