OT - IDC Explains Linux Went Right

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Thu Apr 17 23:39:30 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>  Except that what is released to the "corporate environment" doesn't
>>>  _have_ "ridiculous code names".
>> Apparently, not everyone agrees with you ... I used to have a boss who
>> would tell me, "Perception *is* reality". IOW, doesn't matter if the
>> releases don't *officially* have the code name .. since (almost)
>> everyone refers to them by the code name, effectively speaking, they
>> *do* have the code name.
>
> No, they don't - any more than Vista = Longhorn.  Yes, I understand
> the "perception is reality" argument, but (a) you will never get anybody
> officially connected to Ubuntu to use a code name for a released product

Wasn't speaking about people officially connected with Ubuntu, actually.
I was speaking of the users in general.

> and you won't find official CDs with a code name, and (b) this list is a
> really bad source to base your conclusion.

I wasn't, not totally. I base that on what I also see on the other 2
Linux lists I am on, one of which is a local Linux group, and not one
devoted to any specific distro or variation (like this one is).

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>