VENT - Ticked with Kubuntu

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Apr 17 21:20:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:

> Tried to move my mom's computer over to Kubuntu. Installed just fine but
> the updates keep crashing Adept. After a day and a half I've given up
> and installing XP.

No! Don't give up!

Frequently Adept (especially earlier versions of Adept) will bomb if one of
the packages it's trying to install requires some sort of user input.  This
is most likely to happen after a new installation, because of the number of
major updates that will be required.

For this reason I recommend using apt-get from the command line to get all
the updates after a new install.  Open a shell and execute:

$ sudo apt-get update

You'll be prompted for your password.

When that is done, execute:

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And watch for any prompts that come along and respond appropriately.  Very
rarely will you have to do anything other than just press Enter to accept
the default values.

You may be prompted to also execute:

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a

(or something like that).  If that happens, don't panic.  Just do it and it
will resolve the issues.

Hope that helps.  This threw me several times myself.

The version of Adept that ships with Hardy Heron seems to have resolved this
particular little issue.

--
Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com)
http://www.mossroot.com