Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 intel VGA problem

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Apr 16 18:53:54 UTC 2008

deguz wrote:
> Hi all!
> I need your help. I use Kubuntu 8.04, the KDE4 version, and i have
> intel VGA card.
>
> lspci | grep VGA
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> And my problem is that it seems my VGA card doesn't seem to work normally.
> When i run glxgears, it shows only approx 400 fps.
>
> 2040 frames in 5.0 seconds = 407.834 FPS
> 2339 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.775 FPS
> 2324 frames in 5.0 seconds = 464.556 FPS
> 2331 frames in 5.0 seconds = 466.006 FPS
> 2340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 467.998 FPS
> 2236 frames in 5.0 seconds = 447.196 FPS
>
> I think the problem is with the driver, i can't configure it normally.
> This part of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Driver          "intel"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>         Device          "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier      "Default Layout"
>         Screen          "Default Screen"
>         InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"
> EndSection
>
> I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop, and i'm sure its performance is much
> better than this.
> Please help me how to configure my VGA card, i don't know what to do.
>
> deguz

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with onboard Intel 965GM controller.
My clean install of Hardy Alpha 5, subsequently upgraded daily - now Beta - installed the
'vesa generic' driver. When I tried the 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' driver (intel), X
wouldn't start and I had to 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-
xorg' to get X back again (it defaulted to the 'vesa generic' again).

According to the Dell guys on linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com:

You should be able to apt-get the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" driver from
Hardy main repo to get full 3D acceleration. I am surprised why that
didn't happen automatically for you when you installed Kubuntu Hardy?

Amit

I filed a bug - Bug 215282. Feel free to add to it.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries