Hardy & KDE4: not connected to d-bus server

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at michaelzoet.de
Wed Apr 16 10:03:08 UTC 2008

Hi to all,

I have some problems running KDE4 on a Hardy test system. It is a Dell
Optiplex GX240 with an PIV 1,6 GHz, 1GB RAM and 2 HDs as a RAID1 device.
On this system I have installed KDE3.5, KDE4, GNOME, XFCE and various
other programs ;-). (It is a presentation system for our Hardy Release
Party in Berlin.)

KDE3.5, GNOME, XFCE run fine!

While starting KDE4 I got the error message:

not connected to d-bus server

then I can only press OK and I'm back to the KDM login screen.

Is there anybody who has the same problem? Or even better a solution? I
have really no idea how to debug this.

One thing I found out: if I disable the start of dhcdbd (by moving
/etc/init.d/dhcdbd out of the way), I can login with a local user
account. But have no network... Removing dhcdbd (and with it the
network-manager) and setting up the network manualy does not help. After
a restart without these packages I get the same error message: "not
connected to d-bus server".

On a second system (64 Bit Kubuntu with a dual core AMD CPU, 2GB RAM, 1
HD) I have no problems starting KDE4 or the other desktops.

Hope someone can help because it would be nice to have KDE4 on our Hardy
Release Party.

Greetings,

Michael