Kernel vs Hardware

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Mon Apr 14 23:59:00 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 April 2008, Larry Hartman wrote:

> So then there is no mismatch taking place in my configuration?

i386 is the lowest common denominator, built only with the instruction set for
the old 80386, which everything supports.

I really don't know how kernels work these days, with all this
new "linux-image-generic" and stuff flying around.  I have no idea, and I
didn't find an easy reference quickly.  If you really care, you'll have to do
your own homework.

In the meantime, you can stop worrying about a mismatch.  Your system will run
fine.  I used to screw around with kernels to optimize everything perfectly
for my specific hardware.  Two things resulted from that.  First, there was
never any performance gain I could detect with the naked eye, so to speak.
Second, if my mobo fried and I had to move my hard drive to a different
computer, I now had a pain in the ass to deal with.

You're probably fine like you are.
--
D. Michael McIntyre