OT - IDC Explains Linux Went Right

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Mon Apr 14 14:09:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/11/idc-explains-linux-went-right
>
>  "*IDC RESEARCHERS* reckon that the Linux market will be worth almost $50
>  billion by 2011."
>
>  <snip>
>
>  "Now if only they could drop ridiculous code names like Gutsy Gibbon and
>  Loquacious Lemur, they'd be home and dry. ยต"

Heh. But it is true .. in a corporate environment, it's a lot more
professional to say 'I'm running Ubuntu 7.10" rather than "I'm running
Gutsy Gibbon" ...   this presumes calls from end-users. Even so,
telling the CEO "we have to replace that Gutsy Gibbon database server"
doesn't sound too good, either. :-)

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

Mass exterminations, followed by absolute suppression of the survivors.
 - Dr. Who, speaking of the Daleks