openoffice 2.4 on Kubuntu 6.06 (Willy Hamra)

Tom R tomrood1 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 03:53:36 BST 2008

Willy,

I installed OpenOffice 2.4 on a unbuntu 6.06
installation from the downloaded
OOo_2.4.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz which I
got from a mirror accessed from openoffice.org.  It
wasn't easy or fun, but it does work.  The first step
is to delete your current openoffice using synaptic.
Once it's gone, unpack the tar,gz.  It has an update
file, but it won't work at least not right away since
there isn't anything to update.  Next you have to
install each core module (e.g., ...core01.deb,
core02.deb) separately using dpkg.  They all be
broken; don't worry just get them all installed.  Once
the core mdules are installed, you can use the
included updater (sudo ./update).  The updater will
fix the dependencies in the core modules.  At this
point, you'll have the core installed correctly.  The
remaining packages can be installed using the file
browser by clicking them and then clicking "Install
package."  I worked from the big packages (e.g.,
writer, calc, impress) down the order to the smaller
ones.  Debian menus didn't work for me so I took it
back off.  The last thing you need to do is to edit
your menus.  The only thing you really need to start
is //opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice since
everything else can be started from there.

If you need more detail, you can write me directly.

Thomas A. Rood (tomrood1 at yahoo.com)

--- kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed, I experience too much
problem with the default 2.02 Openoffice. I would like
to upgrade it to 2.4.  Is anyone tried Openoffice 2.4
on Kubuntu 6.06 ? Any problem with Kubuntu 6.06 ?
Best way to  install it ?