Kubuntu won't run kdm or kdm-kde4

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:34:47 BST 2008

Hello,

I haven't been able to Google the right set of terms for this, though I
tried.

Sometime after I installed a beta or alpha of Hardy, with KDE4, I stopped
being able to get the graphical login.

After I log on, 'startx' works just fine and everything is OK, more or less.

However, kdm isn't running.

If I try sudo /etc/init.d/kdm or kdm-kde4, I get the same answer:

"Not starting K Display Manager (kdm-kde4); it is not the default display
manager."

So I run dpkg-reconfigure kdm and it lets me choose either kdm or kdm-kde4.
But either way, it doesn't let me start kdm.

Any ideas?

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own