Several folder is locked

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 06:00:08 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008 12:28:18 cherryfinals wrote:
> How do I load Konquerer in admin/root mode so I can blow away all the
> locked permissions in my graphic folders?
>
> BTW - These folders were not locked and I just copied other images into
> them less than a month ago.

If the folders were *not* locked prior to now, it makes me want to assume that
they are normal folders in your home folder.  If this is the case, using
Konqueror in superuser mode will only exacerbate the problem because the more
you use it to move files around and create directories, the more you will
have to use it to do anything.  Because when you move a file, create a file
or create a directory in Konqueror in superuser mode, it creates with owner
and group permissions for "root".  If I am correct that A) these folders
should belong to your username and B) that they exist under your home
directory and C) that they're part of a native Linux filesystem, then the
following is a better solution:

Open Dolphin and navigate to the folder *containing* the folders to which you
do not have access.  Press F4 (you could also click on the right where it
says "Open Terminal Here", but the one thing that annoys me about that is
that if I accidentally run my mouse over another folder, it'll open Konsole
there).  When Konsole starts, use your username (let's say it's bob) and
type:

sudo chgrp -R bob *

and

sudo chmod -R bob *

Remember to replace "bob" with your username.

I hate giving non-GUI instructions these days, but I poked and prodded around
Dolphin and Konqueror and couldn't figure out a GUI way to change user and
group permissions.  (That's probably just me.)

Anyway, if any of the three assumptions I mentioned earlier are untrue, please
ignore this.