Kubuntu won't run kdm or kdm-kde4

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:18:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:11 PM, D. Michael McIntyre <
michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 13 April 2008, John DeCarlo wrote:
> > Any ideas?
>
> I don't really know how any of this works, but I grepped /etc for likely
> suspects, and came up with this one:
>
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager
>
> Mine contains one line:
>
> $ cat X11/default-display-manager
> /usr/bin/kdm
>
> I'm guessing yours probably has gdm or xdm in it or something, so neither
> kdm
> nor kdm-kde4 will run.  It sounds like a bug that dpkg-reconfigure didn't
> set
> it up correctly, if that proves to be the case.
>
> But this is all intuition, and no first-hand knowledge, so I could be way
> off
> base.

Thanks for your ideas.  I guess the dpkg-reconfigure worked to change this
file, though.

jdecarlo at calumny:/etc/X11$ cat default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm-kde4

Maybe someone can find something interesting in these files:

jdecarlo at calumny:/etc/X11$ cat xinit/xserverrc
#!/bin/sh

# $Id: xserverrc 189 2005-06-11 00:04:27Z branden $

exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp
jdecarlo at calumny:/etc/X11$ cat xinit/xinitrc
#!/bin/bash
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession
jdecarlo at calumny:/etc/X11$

-