Sleep problems Inspiron E1505

John Hubbard ender8282 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 18:07:09 UTC 2008

Does anyone know how to get the sleep/hibernate to work properly on a
dell Inspiron E1505 notebook?
I originally installed dapper 6.10 and since I have upgraded to Edgy,
Eeisty, and then Gutsy.  I believe that when I first installed dapper
sleep/hibernate worked out of the box.  A few days ago I installed
reformatted, killed my windows partition and installed the Hardy (8.04)
beta.  Now when I try to sleep or hibernate it kicks me out of KDE, into
a text screen with messages like:
Syncing filesystes ... done.
Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
Suspending console(s)

At this point I can switch between consoles, tty1, tty2, ... but I
cannot log into any of those consoles (typing a username has no
effect).  It just sits at this  screen until I do a hard reset.  I don't
really know how to go about troubleshooting the problem.  If anyone can
help my troubleshoot or knows of a forum post or something with the
solution I would really appreciate it.

Other than sleep problems almost everything else seems to work flawlessly.
Thanks in advance.

--
-john
There are only 10 kinds of people,