HELP! KDE task/menu bar disappeared and I can't get it back!

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 16:02:47 BST 2008

> and a bunch more like that; It seems he is not looking into the CD to get
> the update, but trying to acess the internet.. :(
You need to edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file and make sure the line:
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/ gutsy
main restricted
is at the top and all the other entries in the entire file are remarked-out
(start with a #). The quickest way to do this is to copy sources.list to
sources.list.original:
1. sudo -i
2. cd /etc/apt
3. cp sources.list sources.list.orig
4. rm sources.list (be VERY SURE YOU BACKED IT UP)
5. cat > sources.list
6. Now type in this line:
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.1)]/ gutsy
main restricted
7. Press enter and then Ctrl+D
8. Make sure it worked:
less sources.list
9. If you see the line you typed then proceed, else try from 5 again (or use
vi or nano to edit the file)
10. Now tell apt to update:
apt-get update
11. That should look for the cd (I am not 100% sure)
12. Now perform the task:
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

You may have to fiddle at the end, perhaps removing kubuntu-desktop and
re-installing it.

If (when) that all works, make sure you replace the old sources.list from the
backup you made...

HTH
\d