HELP! KDE task/menu bar disappeared and I can't get it back!

Dario Figueira wurmdario at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 19:28:49 UTC 2008

On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:

> 10. Now tell apt to update:
> apt-get update
> 11. That should look for the cd (I am not 100% sure)
> 12. Now perform the task:
>
> apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Donn, i'm sorry for all the bother :( but we're still not there yet.

Ok, so i found out what my CD reference was and so filled out the
sources.list with
deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 6.06.1 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060806.1)]/
dapper
main restricted

seems fine, so here goes "apt-get update"
no errors, but no listing of packages either :(, just a
"Reading package lists... Done"

which leads to a "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"
returning
"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package kubuntu-desktop is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source
E: Package kubuntu-desktop has no installation candidate"

:(

On 4/12/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> Hi Dario. Could not resolve is a DNS problem. What do you have
> in /etc/resolve.conf ?

nameserver 192.168.2.1
(yes, i have a router lol)

You've lost Konqueror for the moment, but do you have any other webbrowsers
> installed? Firefox, or Opera. If so can you access websites. This may
> confirm
> a DNS problem if websites are not accessable.

:S :( no i don't have any other web browser installed

I don't know how usefull it would be to access your Dapper CD, and
> re-install
> kubuntu-desktop, as Donn suggested above. I'm sure KDE has been upgraded
> since your original install

well :) i've only used it for work, not recreation ^^ so i haven't really
fiddled with it and never upgraded from what i installed from the CD, so..
:) reinstalling from the CD seemed a pretty good option, altho if we managed
to get him downloading stuff and installing it AND therefore working, i
would be overjoyed nonetheless

type "kwrite" ( no quotes), and
> navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list. Comment out the lines with a # at the
> start of all lines that are for accessing a repo.
>
> O_O, kwrite is gone too! how the heck did i manage to implode Kubuntu not
so throughly but with cirurgical precision?

--
Dario Figueira