7.10 won't recognize my usb turntable

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Apr 12 05:25:59 BST 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008, Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Audio devices:
> 0: ALC662 Analog (duplex)
> 1: usb audio (duplex

This is great news.

> I guess I need to start figuring out how to get Audacity or what ever to
> see the turntable.  I Want to digitize my old LP collection and also
> play records through the computer.

I obviously can't test this from here, but it looks like if you go to Edit ->
Preferences and look at Playback Device and Recording Device, you ought to
find your device on the list.  I'm not sure what the actual text will say,
but I bet it's human-readable.

Audacity is probably good enough for your purposes, but if you want to play
records live, I can't think of a likely way to do that unless you use JACK to
route the audio input from the record player to the audio output on whatever
soundcard you normally use.  (Well, unless you use a physical audio cable to
connect them, if that is an option.)

JACK is a pretty huge subject, and I would encourage you to seek out the
Ubuntu Studio Users list, or the Linux Audio Users list for further help with
that.  First, I would encourage you to just get started with Audacity, and
see what happens from there.

Good luck!
--
D. Michael McIntyre