KNetworkManager & iwlist

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Thu Apr 10 16:32:24 BST 2008

I popped over to a friend's house this afternoon to experiment with being able to connect
to his wireless router.
After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the KNetworkManager icon on the
Kicker panel had changed from a plain icon to a blue bar graph and that when I right
clicked on it, it showed all the available connections (there were several). I also
noticed that whereas a normal [left] click would show a dialogue box with 'No devices' (or
something like that), it now shows all the details of the connection type.

Q. Why doesn't KNetworkManager invoke 'iwlist wlan0 scan' at start-up? and how can I
enable it to do so?

Blessings,

Nigel

--