KNetworkManager & iwlist

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Thu Apr 10 18:49:30 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the
>
> Well, this isn't related to your problem, but you don't need sudo for
> iwlist. Better use sudo only if it is really needed.

According to 'man iwlist':
Triggering scanning is a privileged operation (root only) and normal users can only read
left-over scan results.

>> KNetworkManager icon on the Kicker panel had changed from a plain icon
>> to a blue bar graph and that when I right clicked on it, it showed all
>> the available connections (there were several).
>
> How long did you wait before the iwlist command? If it was only a short
> time, it might be a coincidence with the delay of Knetworkmanager.
> Sometimes it takes a short time (1 minute?) until the wireless networks
> are visible here.

Actually I have been using Hardy since Alpha 5 and with a wireless router, but never has
the KNetworkManager icon changed from the grey 'dumb'one (where no network or device is
recognized) until I did the 'sudo iwlist wlan0'.
Strangely, I had to reboot and now the KNetworkManager icon is working properly, complete
with info and the 'blue graph' - go figure.....

> What version of Kubuntu are you using? I haven't seen such a behaviour
> with Gutsy or Hardy. And what network card is it? Maybe someone else has
> similar problems, but with my ipw2200 card I haven't seen it.

Hardy with a Broadcom BCM4310 USB Controller.

>> Q. Why doesn't KNetworkManager invoke 'iwlist wlan0 scan' at start-up?
>> and how can I enable it to do so?
>
> If the command is really needed, you could make a script in
> $HOME/.kde/Autostart to invoke the iwlist command after login. Something
> like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> iwlist wlan0 scan

It seems to be working on its own now :-)

> Nils

Blessings,

Nigel

--