KNetworkManager & iwlist

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 16:52:39 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the

Well, this isn't related to your problem, but you don't need sudo for
iwlist. Better use sudo only if it is really needed.

> KNetworkManager icon on the Kicker panel had changed from a plain icon
> to a blue bar graph and that when I right clicked on it, it showed all
> the available connections (there were several).

How long did you wait before the iwlist command? If it was only a short
time, it might be a coincidence with the delay of Knetworkmanager.
Sometimes it takes a short time (1 minute?) until the wireless networks
are visible here.

What version of Kubuntu are you using? I haven't seen such a behaviour
with Gutsy or Hardy. And what network card is it? Maybe someone else has
similar problems, but with my ipw2200 card I haven't seen it.

> Q. Why doesn't KNetworkManager invoke 'iwlist wlan0 scan' at start-up?
> and how can I enable it to do so?

If the command is really needed, you could make a script in
$HOME/.kde/Autostart to invoke the iwlist command after login. Something
like this:

#!/bin/sh
iwlist wlan0 scan

Nils