Q: creating good-quality PDFs from scans?

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Wed Apr 9 16:36:30 BST 2008

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
> Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.
>
> I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
> and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.
>
> I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
> scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
> PDFs from them.
>
> I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
> Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
> clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
> it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
> characters.

I've seen similar effects when resizing large images to smaller sizes,
typically when the images are 24 bits and the scaling was "bilinear" -
not sure what the term means, it's basically interpolating and not just
shrinking. I've had better results reducing the number of colors and
playing with gamma correction and that kind of stuff in an image editor,
you may want to try something like that (maybe setting the pdf printer
to black and white is the simplest way to go?)
HTH,
I.