Strange behaviour in konsole

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:06:56 UTC 2008

2008/4/10 Antonio PĂ©rez <aplistas at skarcha.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM, James Gray <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
>
>  >  I rebuilt my work machine a few weeks ago and try as I might I can't
>  >  seem to iron out a small annoyance in Konsole.  When editing a file in
>  >  Konsole with vi, the cursor (arrow) keys dump characters to the screen
>  >  instead of actually moving the cursor.  However, this ONLY happens when
>  >  in insert mode.  In command mode, the arrow keys work correctly.
>
>  Same problem here (Kubuntu 7.10). This makes me use "nano" in console
>  instead "vi".

Hi

Could it be that he use vi instead of vim? I have seen similar problems with
arrows, backspace, del and other special keys when using vi. On my system
vi and vim is both a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic, but i think that
when you start
vim as vi you enter some "legacy" mode. A fast look at the manual for vi and vim
don't give an answer to that, perhaps someone here on the list know?
You also got several vim packages to chose from. I think as default vim-tiny is
installed, you could try install vim-full to see if it make any difference.

/ Jonas