A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 20:21:36 UTC 2008

Il martedì 8 aprile 2008 18:54:35 p.daniels ha scritto:
> Michael Leone wrote:
> >  > If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
> >
> > That sort of definitely proves my point. :-) That's not a "tell me
> > what you don't like about it, so we can make it better" post; that's a
> > "I can't find one good thing about this program; has ANYONE ever found
> > one good thing about this program?" post.
>
> That's not how I read it at all. You're totally jumping to conclusions.
>
> > Also see earlier posts along the lines of "why waste time on creating
> > Dolphin"? You wouldn't phrase it as wasting time creating it, if all
> > you were doing was looking to make it better.
>
> No, it's a valid question. "If there is a very good, highly acclaimed
> file manager for KDE that exists and is mature now, then what is the
> purpose of developing Dolphin?" That's not a rhetorical question, that's
> not an unfair question. If there are good answers, let's hear them,
> instead of attacking the people asking the question.

First of all, I'm quite new to Linux, KDE and Kubuntu (less than 1 year, just
a baby... :-)

But, have you seen the version of Dolphin? 0.9.2
Konqueror? 3.5.9, it was born with KDE.

So, the two programs are divided by years of development.

Would you change your preferred brand of breakfast flakes with a new one?
Perhaps you'd try it but I'm sure you'd come back on your steps asap.

So, I like Dolphin also because I'm quite new here, and *for me* Konqueror and
Dolphin are very similar, I'm coming from Windows and I use Firefox for
browsing the Web (I use it also in Windows), Dolphin for me is good to browse
files.
Also I admit Konqueror is more complete, has more options.

But I understand the feelings: I'm an old user of Pegasus Mail for Windows
and, even if I had the possibility to use Thunderbird (open source, free,
etc...), I couldn't change my good, old mailer and I think it is actually one
of the best mailers for Windows.

I'm not able to describe technically the differences between Dolphin and
Konqueror, but I do understand that it's also a feeling matter...

Ciao,
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com