A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Apr 9 08:12:26 BST 2008

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Larry Hartman
> <larryhartman50 at vzavenue.net> wrote:
>> On Monday 07 April 2008 06:24:33 pm David McGlone wrote:
>>  > On Monday 07 April 2008 7:25:16 pm Michael wrote:
>>  > >  Larry Hartman wrote:
>>  > > On Monday 07 April 2008 12:45:41 pm Scott wrote:
>>  >
>>  > <snip>
>>  >
>>  > >but what is supposed to be so great about it?  I have yet
>>  > > to see one positive post about Dolphin.
>>  >
>>  > </snip>
>>  >
>>  > There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.
>>  >
>>  > I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
>>  > developers time! If KDE has all this time to create another file browser,
>>  > why not use that time and manpower to fix all the quirks and bugs in the
>>  > already existing apps.
>>
>>  My complaint is not a very big one at all, just that I dislike having my
>>  directories ladened with hidden dolphin settings files.  I still see them,
>>  they are still there.
>>
>>  Larry
>>

> I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?

Although I still use konqueror sometimes for file management I find
that dolphin is simple. It deals with one or two files, and the
hierarchy is not available. I found this very frustrating at first,
but for most of my needs it is easier and safer than using konq.
I sometimes handle about 40Gb of files and I sometimes found konq gave
a few problems. So far dolphin - presumably much  smaller - has been ok

The biggest problem was the shock of suddenly being faced with dolphin
with (for me anyway) no idea in advance it was likely to happen. But
then, There are no big marketing budgets in open source and I love it
anyway.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391