Q: creating good-quality PDFs from scans?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:54:38 UTC 2008

I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.

I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.

I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
PDFs from them.

I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
characters.

I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, but nothing seems to make
any difference at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
similar quality to the original images?

  Doc