A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:32:40 BST 2008

First as the first one in this to be accused of hating Dolphin, that
is just not right. I don't hate it at all. I used it for 6 months (and
used all the options to set it up the way I like it) and just got rid
of it because it was crashing and it did not do all of what I needed
thus I was always having to start up Konqueror anyway. Thus I deleted
Dolphin and now my computer is running faster. Sure it was a bug and
that will go away with time but why wait when Konqueror does it right
now?

Why not work on the code of Dolphin? Why would I? I can just use
something that is better for me, Konqueror. If I wanted to work on
code it would be for something I want to use.

Something else I see in all this are the supporters of Dolphin seem to
be the people with older, smaller or slower computers. I am lucky to
have an AMD 64 bit x2 and thus no speed problems anymore(after 15
years of having to run 3 year old computers). They say it is lighter
and I am sure it is.

On the other hand are the people saying that in time Dolphin will have
all the bells and whistles added to it. Does this not seem like a
problem to you? Why grow Dolphin into something we already have
(Konqueror)? If Dolphin is great because it is light then lets keep it
that way. While we are at this thought, I keep wondering why people
who want it light are using KDE? I use Xubuntu on my old laptop.
Perhaps the users are in some middle ground, that adds up to Dolphin
and KDE?

Anyway, main point. I don't hate Dolphin. I am happy to keep it in the
options to install but I don't feel that setting it as the default has
improved KDE in anyway except perhaps to give those middle ground
people a nice file program. I don't see this as any sort of a fight.
This is about pros and cons, no winner here. Different people have
different needs, hardware and likes. We all can have it all, this is
Linux!@ The trick is to find out what is best for you by reading
treads like this and learning.

--
Douglas E Knapp