A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Andrew Jarrett jarrett.andrew at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 04:12:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Leone wrote:
>  > >  BTW I need XP for certain network admin apps & outlook
>  >
>  > Why do you think you need to justify your actions? :-) If you want to
>  > run XP, for any reason, then do so. Use whatever works best for you.
>  > No need to elaborate why.
>
>  Just don't ever admit to running GNOME around here.  Or emacs.

Now this flamewar (even though it started as just a simple
predicament, which I don't think anyone has really helped out on) just
increased its scope from "Konqueror vs. Dolphin" to "Konqueror vs.
Dolphin, KDE vs. GNOME, and Emacs vs. Everyone Else".  Thanks a lot, I
will be expecting at least a trillion of emails in my inbox tomorrow
morning ;)

I wish I could help out the OP, but I would have no idea why Dolphin
would freeze when changing directories.  If the problem is
reproducible (and it sounds like it is), you should try to post a bug
report or look for a similar report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/dolphin/

Now back "on topic": Dolphin
All I have to say is that at least Dolphin doesn't suck as much as
D3lphin (I mean, come on, if you're going to have a "split view" could
you at least make it split the two panes _evenly_, please!) and
Dolphin is not such a bad file manager and it looks all flashy and
stuff.  But Dolphin certainly doesn't compare to good ol' "M-x dired".
 I mean, when I open a .odt or .ogg file, I of course want my file
manager to show me the file in its raw state.  Although I'm sure
there's a package that could display the files correctly somewhere...

And new "topic": KDE vs. GNOME
Yeah, I used to use GNOME and it wasn't that bad, but I really can't
stand all the GTK widgets and icons and stuff.  And it does seem to be
kind of limiting with options, although I'm sure there are some GNOME
hackers that could get everything customized to their liking.

Anyways, I wish I could stick around and talk about how I hate this or
that and why I love this or that and why the world is coming to an
end, but I have to go write up a summary of some project specs.  In
Emacs, of course -- because every other program ever written sucks.
Hey, that should be their tagline; its pretty catchy.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2