A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Apr 8 18:01:52 BST 2008

Martin Laberge wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 10:00:40 claydoh wrote:
>> A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those who
>> have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually like it,
>> are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And generally
>> speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be much more
>> vocal than those with positive ones.
> Is there someone in this room , using dolphin, who is able to
> describe to me (and all others), why YOU like dolphin, why is
> it better than konkeror, and what is your point of using it.
> Maybe we just don't understand the point to use it?
> If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Dolphin is "better" than Konqueror.
Both are very good at what they do. When the bruhaha started over
Dolphin a while back I made a conscious effort to use it instead of
Konqueror. You know, kick the tires, look under the hood, trash it
around the block, that sort of thing. What I found was that it worked,
and quite well. Is it "perfect"? No. There are things I would like to
see done different. BUT, some of those things would make it Konqueror
with Dolphin like addons. Is there a "need" for a new file browser?
Probably not, but I do like to use Dolphin nearly all the time. I find
myself reaching for Dolphin whenever I need to do file manager stuff
instead of Konqueror. A short time back I wanted/needed to edit fstab.
Reach for Dolphin, navigate to the file, hover over file, click "Edit As
Root" in the right pane, password, bingo. Could I have done it in
Konqueror? Yuppers. But Dolphin worked just as well and is lighter weight.

IMHO, Dolphin is not "better" or "worse". Just different. How many times
[ and don't get me wrong - CLI is important ] does someone ask how to do
something and the top five or six answers all deal with CLI when just
about everything can be done in Dolphin or Konqueror very simply and
quickly.  Navigation through the file system is much faster with Dolphin
or Konqueror than CLI. You can see where you are and where you want to
go. There will always be those that don't wish to change. The "old ways"
are the best and all that stuff. When I bought this acreage my
stepfather through a fit, "PAID $16000 WHEN YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO
GET IT FOR $500!!!" Yeah, back in the forties maybe. Times change.
Things change. Some will ALWAYS oppose change.

Should Konqueror be done away with or deprecated? NO!! Should Dolphin be
improved? YES!!

The bottom line for me is that Dolphin does what I need it to do with a
minimum of fuss and bother. I like it.

How many of the Dolphin haters have made a REALLY concerted effort to
use it? OR, do they hate it just because it isn't Konqueror.