A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 8 18:19:48 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 13:49:54 Valter Mura wrote:
> Il martedì 8 aprile 2008 09:50:10 O. Sinclair ha scritto:
>
> > >     I think the real question here is, what is the advantage to dolphin?
> > >

> > > Really? I think the question is, why so much hate? No one forces you to
> > > use Dolphin. And are any of you KDE developers? Is anyone here spending
> > > their free time coding or writing patches to make this apps better? I'm
> > > not. I'm a proud KDE user and I truly value the time and effort this
> > > people put in everything they do for me. I love Dolphin, I really do. If
> > > you don't like it, don't use it. Isn't that the beauty of free software?
> >
> > Agree totally. I don't like Dolphin and I don't use it - but others do.
> > I fail to see the problem, it is not overly complicated to set Konqueror
> > to be your default filemanager.
>
> Hi All,
>
> as far as I can see, a problem with Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 beta has become a fight
> between Dolphin and Konqueror.
> I said I had a problem opening a folder in Donlphin but I got also a freeze
> browsing in the Adept graphical program ("Add/Remove Programs" in "new"
> Kmenu, my system is in Italian, so I suppose this is the correct English
> version).
> So my question was: will my system be able to support the new Kubuntu version?
>
> On the other hand, this is what I think about the Dolphin vs. Konqueror war:
> I think Dolphin needs some improvement, such as a richer context menu (for
> example, the useful command move/copy a file with all the path reachable from
> it), but I also think that their effort is to "split" the file manager from
> the browser.
> I don't know if it is for security reasons or for KDE internal organization
> and development (a team dedicated only to Dolphin). But please, not war: I'm
> sure Dolphin will become better and better in file managing, while Konqueror
> will be the best web browser in Kde for the future... ;-) ...so the "local"
> team has been divided from the "Internet" team...
>
> Regards,
> --
> Valter
> Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com
> Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org
> Kubuntu Linux: www.ubuntu.com
> Usa OpenOffice.org: www.openoffice.org
> "Coltiva Linux, tanto Windows si pianta da solo"

The division between the LOCAL and the REMOTE is going very difficult to see.
The future seems to go where you will work with local and remote objects at
the same time independtly of where you are. These objects are docs, imgs, vids,
or even web-page, or an email, a contact, ...

Integrating the differents protocols to work with different kind of objects,
with the same tool, intuitively, between for example my bluetooth-phone and
a ftp-depot or wathever, is what konqueror did so well...

This is what the future tend for, integration of components in a single interface,
or did i misread the trend of the last 30 years??? All the efforts done to
acheive this integration? Standardisation of the API, Protocols, to be integrable...

Is a NFS mounted directory a local or remote object? Is a web page on the same machine
a local or a remote object?

Dolphin (as a concept, not as a program) is like going backward in time to me...

I have to admit however, It looks very good!

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823