A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Tue Apr 8 17:00:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM, p.daniels <teeahr1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>  >  > If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
>  >
>  >
>  > That sort of definitely proves my point. :-) That's not a "tell me
>  > what you don't like about it, so we can make it better" post; that's a
>  > "I can't find one good thing about this program; has ANYONE ever found
>  > one good thing about this program?" post.
>  >
>  That's not how I read it at all. You're totally jumping to conclusions.

In anything, you're seeing this thread (*not* Dolfin) through
rose-colored glasses. I'm not the only one who pointed this out,
either, so if I'm jumping, I'm not alone. :-)

> > Also see earlier posts along the lines of "why waste time on creating
>  > Dolphin"? You wouldn't phrase it as wasting time creating it, if all
>  > you were doing was looking to make it better.
>  >
>  >
>  No, it's a valid question.

AH, here's where you're making your mistake. I'm not disputing the
question you are raising, and the tone and reasoning you're using to
do so. I am saying that this thread did not start, and for the most
part, has not been, raised with that valid question in mind. Instead,
this thread was a denigration of Dolfin, and of developers "wasting
time and resources" on it. (there's an earlier post using those words
- "wasting time" - that I've deleted, but you can verify it, if you
want).

> "If there is a very good, highly acclaimed
>  file manager for KDE that exists and is mature now, then what is the
>  purpose of developing Dolphin?" That's not a rhetorical question, that's
>  not an unfair question. If there are good answers, let's hear them,
>  instead of attacking the people asking the question.

The attacks have been on Dolfin, not the people using it. The question
is why Dolfin exists, with the connotation that it serves its purpose
badly, and should not have been invented.