A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 8 15:51:11 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 11:05:16 claydoh wrote:
> On Tue April 8 2008 10:25:45 am Martin Laberge wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 April 2008 10:00:40 claydoh wrote:
> > > A lack of "user outcry for it" doesn't mean it is bad, just that those
> > > who have no problems with it (ie it works fine for them), or actually
> > > like it, are not necessarily as vocal as those who don't like it. And
> > > generally speaking, people with negative experiences anywhere tend to be
> > > much more vocal than those with positive ones.
> >
> > Is there someone in this room , using dolphin, who is able to
> > describe to me (and all others), why YOU like dolphin, why is
> > it better than konkeror, and what is your point of using it.
> >
> > Maybe we just don't understand the point to use it?
> >
> > If someone can argue FOR dolphin, i would like to hear it.
> >

> > --
> > Martin Laberge
> > mlsoft at videotron.ca
> > Tel:(418)521-6823
>
> 1) It works. And is quite configurable, even if it doesn't look so from the
> relatively sparse settings. I use it (kde3's version BTW) to browse/write to
> samba shares, ssh connection, ftp to webservers, etc.
>
> 2) It does its job well - My wife, who seldom uses a file manger, generally,
> finds dolphin nicely laid out, with the important stuff right there, and the
> system stuff there, but not as prominent. She doesn't like tree views, split
> views, etc, she just wants to get to her stuff, and did so with Dolphin with
> ease. All without help from me after a clean install before I had the chance
> to tweak things to our liking.
>
> 3) I find it more efficient for file managing. For example I find the
> breadcrumb method quicker for me than arrows etc, and I generally *dislike*.
> breadcrumbs.
>
> but really, its not about Dolphin being Better, or Konqueror being Worse it is
> about  the decision to go with a particular app for general day to day use.
> Konqueror is still a *great* application! No one is trying to say that. I
> think that is part of the misperception.
>
> Does *anyone* remember when Konqueror first became the Swiss-Army knife tool
> it is now, and the furor over it and kioslaves, of KDE/Konq going down the MS
> Explorer take-over-your-desktop comparisons? The this-is -the -death-of-KDE
> rants? Did that ever come to pass? nope. now much maligned Konq is the tried
> and true, while dolphin is the new and different, When something better than
> Dolphin comes around in KDE 6, the naysayers will cling to their beloved
> filemanager and cry over the change :), and a few die-hards will still pimp
> Krusader or Konqueror ;D I still use Konq often in a multiply-split view, one
> large pane for my website, and the right pane split horizontally into two,
> one for my local filesystem, the other for the remote website's filesystem
>
> --
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://claydoh.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

Thank you very much for your answer.

If i understand well, it feels more comfortable for day-to-day use
of browsing to find a doc ou picture or ..., but requieres to go to
konqueror for doing more complex work?

The need to keep 2 different filemanager, learn 2 filemanager,
to be able to do all the work, keep me perplex.

But you give me one reason to retry it, Comfort.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823