User Manager on Hardy

David Fletcher kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net
Tue Apr 8 11:55:48 UTC 2008

At 10:52 08/04/2008, you wrote:
>David Fletcher wrote:
> > The fundamental thing that doesn't work for me is the System Settings
> > -> User Management. I use the Administrator Mode button, but still
> > the buttons for New, Modify and Delete user are greyed out. Can
> > anybody else confirm this please?
>
>I had the same problem some time ago, but I think it was caused by old
>config files somewhere in the directory ~/.kde (I did an upgrade from
>Dapper). I deleted that directory and started with a fresh KDE
>environment and the system settings also worked in administrator mode.
>But beware, if you delete that directory, you may loose your emails (and
>maybe other things which are important to you). You could try the
>command "kdesu systemsettings" (without quotes) if nothing else works.
>

>Nils

The machine I am fiddling with at home was a fresh installation. The
machine I set up for a friend was a fresh installation onto a fresh
hard drive. Both have the same problem. I reinstated the users' home
folders from a Dapper installation on the friend's machine, but I
don't think I carried over the administrator's home folder.

What I can do is try deleting the ~/.kde folder, unless I can find a
systemsettings config file somewhere in there, and try again.

Dave