Kernel -14 and -15 won't boot

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 12:41:38 BST 2008

Blue Rose wrote:
> I run Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE3.. I got some updates recently, first
> kernel -14 then kernel -15, but neither of them will boot.. I get the
> Kubuntu logo with the blue loading bar.. nothing happens.. Alt+F2 shows
> me this
>
> Busybox 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
>
> No clue what all this is, I'm fairly new to linux...

For someone new to linux I wouldn't recommend to run beta software :)

> Rebooting (Ctrl Alt Del) and delecting the -12 kernel in the grub menu
> works fine.. Kubuntu loads and works right away..
>
> Can anyone explain what's going on here? Error in the updates? Or is it
> something with my computer?

Sorry, I can't explain, but if the -12 kernel works but not -14 / -15 you
could search at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/> if it is a known bug. If it
isn't known already, you could file a new bug report there - maybe it is
specific to your hardware.

Other than that, you could try Kubuntu 7.10 which is still the latest
stable version. Or if you really want to keep 8.04, you could uninstall
the -14 and -15 kernel versions. Then -12 will be the default again. But
beware, during the next update don't inadvertently reinstall the -14
or -15 kernel.

Nils