A note on Kubuntu 8.04 beta version (KDE4)

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Tue Apr 8 03:04:43 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008, David McGlone wrote:
> There is nothing great about dolphin. I can't stand it.

I've been playing with the one in KDE4 that's supposed to be so much better
than the one in KDE3, and all I can say is that I'm glad Konqueror is still
behaving like Konqueror so far.

Some of the things they complain about in their mission statement are actually
features to me.  Like having the up arrow, which is supposed to be "totally
irrelevant" for a web browser.  But it's handy.  I use it all the time when I
find some random link to some random page, and I want to see what's higher up
the ladder at that site, maybe to find the index that refers to the random
page I found, or maybe to find the entry point into the whole site.  It's a
feature, and no other web browser has it.

> I said this a long long time ago, I think dolphin is a HUGE waste of
> developers time!

I agree.  I just hope they never break Konqueror.  That mission statement
stuff makes me think they will work on whittling it down bit by bit until
neither Konqueror nor Dolphin is any damn good for anything.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about KDE in general.  All the fancy new
glimtwizzles and spluthleflinks aren't worth a rat's ass as long as something
as fundamental as the little bar as the bottom of the screen is so absurdly
useless compared with its KDE3 predecessor.  They seem to have their
priorities screwed up, at least from my perspective.  Couldn't you get the
kicker replacement into some kind of good shape before you bothered to port
something as comparatively trivial as the card games?  Huh?

Sigh.
--
D. Michael McIntyre