How do I install KDE 4.0.3?

Robert Tilley tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 18:53:41 UTC 2008

I've tried the instructions on the Kubuntu site.
>> For 7.10 add deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu gutsy
main to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>> Install kde4-core, note that PPAs aren't authenticated so you will likely
get a warning when installing

After installation, logout, and restart of the X server my screen is black
with no graphics.  Completely black.

After a few minutes, randomly-colored vertical lines appear on the screen like
so much graphic noise.  This may be a problem with KDE talking to my graphics
chip.  (The box is an HP Pavilion a1610n.)  Nothing else happens.

Nothing else happens and I must re-install Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy.  I've done this
twice before thinking that it's not me.  Something's not right with my
process.

Any ideas?

Bob
--
You look like a million dollars.  All green and wrinkled.