Best app for ripping CDs

Constantinos Maltezos pandarsson at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 08:24:26 UTC 2008

If I might also make a simple suggestion, I find Konqueror (I think Dolphin does the same thing) to be the easiest solution for me, especially when I need only configure it once (through kcontrol - don't know if system settings has the module for this) and then it's as easy as inserting the CD, creating a directory and a quick drag and drop.

In the services menus for Konqueror (the thing that pops up on the left hand side), one of them contains an audio CD browser.  When an audio CD is inserted and KDE does a cddb lookup for it, you can click on the audio CD browser and it acts just like a folder, with subfolders for mp3, ogg, flac, cda and wav, plus an "info" file that shows the cddb entry.  From here, I enter the ogg directory and see filenames set up the way I specified in kcontrol (in my case, it's the track number followed by the track name followed by .ogg, since I set up a folder for the artist and then a subfolder for the album - an example of a track would be "03 Caravanserai.ogg").  I just drag them to another Konqueror/Dolphin window and the ripping process begins with a standard KDE copy progress dialogue.  I haven't seen this feature mentioned very often, and I think it's a neat one.