How to run fancontrol automatically?

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:26:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Blue Rose <bluerosemagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the fast response :-)
>
>  I just tried it and rebooted but it didn't work. Perhaps I did something
>  wrong.
>
>  the fancontrol script has as path /etc/fancontrol
>  According to Dolphin its owner is root, and permissions are -rw-------

It should be executable. Like

xrw-------

Use chmod to change that:

sudo chmod  +x  /etc/fancontrol

>  I added the line /etc/fancontrol above the exit 0 in rc.local.
>  /etd/rc.local has owner root too, and permissions -rwxr-xr-x (not sure
>  what all that means)

Read the manual entry for
>  Reboot was same as usual, had to manually do "sudo fancontrol"
>  What am I doing wrong?

BTW, If your script is somehow "complex",  I believe that the "proper"
way to do this would be to have a script in /etc/init.d, and later add
scripts to the /etc/rc*.d dirs. This is pretty easy to be done, you
just need to use "update-rc.d".

Add the script to /etc/init.d, say:

/etc/init.d/fancontrol

please make sure your script is executable, and later run (untested)

% update-rc.d fancontrol multiuser

Read the man page for update-rc.d, and the section 9.3 of the Debian
Policy Manual http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html,
to know what is going on.

cheers,
--